Dr. Sven Scheffler, MD, PhD
Full Partner: Private Practice for Joint Surgery, Sporthopaedicum-Berlin
Lecturer and Guest Scientist: Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Julius-Wolff Institute, Charité University Medicine Berlin
Orthopedic and Trauma Surgeon
Dr. Scheffler is an orthopedic and trauma surgeon with a special expertise in conservative and surgical treatment of knee and sports injuries. The choice of his profession was not accidental. Avid athlete, Dr. Scheffler has competed at the national and international levels during his younger years. Keeping the established contacts with the Olympic Support Center in Berlin, Dr. Scheffler treats and advises both amateur and professional athletes. Dr. Scheffler has gained national and international reputation in the surgical treatment of the entire spectrum of knee joint injuries and is acquainted with all the latest procedures and postoperative rehabilitation practices.
Among his patients are international and German athletes from the German Premier and 1st Leagues in soccer, gymnastics, track and field, and motorcycle sport.
Dr. Scheffler is a frequent invited guest at international conferences and training sessions, where he not only gives lectures, but also demonstrates the modern methods of orthopedic surgery during "live operations."
PROFESSIONAL SPECIALIZATION AND EXPERTISE
- Reconstruction of the anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments (primary and revision)
- Surgical and conservative treatment of multiligamentous injuries of the knee
- Diagnostic and treatment of patellofemoral disorders and instability
- Reconstruction and transplantation of meniscus
- Surgical treatment of cartilage defects and cartilage transplantation
MEDICAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING
2000 Medical School, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
2001-2008 Residency and post-doctoral studies, combined program of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Charité University Berlin, Germany
2008 Board certified, Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology
2007-2010 Head of the Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Knee Surgery service, Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Charité University Berlin, Germany
2010 Habilitation (Post-doctoral Dissertation) in Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Charité University Berlin, Germany
SCIENTIFICAL AND CLINICAL FELLOWSHIPS
1999 Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, USA
2000-2001 Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
2009 Steadman Hawkins Clinic, Vail, Colorado, USA
2010 ESSKA Asian Traveling Fellow, Japan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Singapore
- Biomechanics of the knee joint
- dHealing of soft-tissue transplants for knee ligament replacement
- Cartilage repair
- Meniscus transplantation
- since 2000 IALS International Academy of Life Sciences
- since 2002 Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS)
- since 2005 German-speaking Society for Arthroscopy (AGA)
- Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS)
- Magellan Society
- since 2008 European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA)
- since 2009 German Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (DGOU)
Dr. Scheffler is author of more than 50 original publications in national and international scientific journals.
Dr. Sven Scheffler is a recognized knee expert at sporthopaedicum Berlin, which has four locations throughout Germany. This allows highly specialized orthopaedic and trauma surgeons working in this network to provide best possible care in treatment of diseases and injuries of all joints, including spine.